The Pronunciation for English Teachers (PET) course aims at giving participants the necessary theoretical background to understand key aspects of English phonology, while also giving teachers practical ideas to teach pronunciation effectively, both face-to-face and online.
The PET is a 12-hour course, and its sixth edition will be offered as follows:
- 100% online via Zoom
- From 3 to 31 July, 2021 (Saturdays), from 2.00 to 4.30 p.m.
*Sessions are recorded and the recordings are available to participants for 7 days (requires a Gmail account)
- Phonemic symbols and the phonemic chart
- Using phonemic symbols in class
- Commonly mispronounced words
- Manner and place of articulation
- Word and sentence stress
- Teaching word and sentence stress
- Important word endings (-ed, -ous, -ate, among others)
- Features of connected speech 1
- Teaching connected speech 1
- Pronunciation and spelling
- Features of connected speech 2
- Teaching connected speech 2
- Pronunciation and listening
- Rhythm and intonation
- Teaching rhythm and intonation
- Varieties of English pronunciation/Pronunciation of English as a Lingua Franca (ELF)
All worksheets used in the course will be made available for participants via the course’s Google classroom. However, having at least one of the titles below is recommended:
- Inglês para Professor, by Higor Cavalcante
- English Phonetics and Phonology, by Peter Roach
- How to Teach Pronunciation, by Gerald Kelly
- Pronunciation, by Christiane Dalton & Barbara Seidlhofer
- Sound Foundations, by Adrian Underhill
- Teaching Pronunciation, by Marianne Celce-Murcia et al.
R$ 700,00, payable by:
- bank transfers in two payments (first upon registration; second on July 5, 2021)
- credit card (in multiple instalments via PagSeguro – fees apply)
*If you register for 2 or 3 courses (also Vocabulary for English Teachers and/or Grammar for English Teachers) you’ll have a 15% discount for each of them. Also, if you register for 2 or 3 courses, you can pay in more instalments.
**Current CAE and CPE students have a 50% discount to participate in this edition of the PET course.
To register, please visit http://bit.ly/hcproncourse2020