This is a brand new course for teachers, which will be offered for the first time in the second semester of 2022 (from July onwards).
The course is basically a book club, but with a twist! Every month, a new book will be selected and course participants will have objectives while they read: they need to reach a certain chapter every week; they must do content- and/or language-related tasks as they read. Also, differently from more ‘traditional’ book clubs, we’ll be having 4 weekly meetings for each book, rather than just one at the end.
Reading is perhaps the most complete language-learning exercise there is, and we as teachers can benefit immensely from turning reading into a habit. The main objective of this course is, therefore, to help you do that: turn reading into a habit, but also to give you a chance to use your reading to develop your English and to practice speaking in our meetings.
The books chosen for the first semester of the club fall into different genres, the authors are from different countries, but they have one thing in common: They’re awesome! 🙂
Basic information (Don’t skim this! Read it carefully!):
- Each module includes the reading of one book (which must be bought separately), and 4 weekly meetings of one hour each.
- The five modules are separate. You can register for as many as you want.
- The live meetings are on Wednesdays, from 21.30 to 22.30* (except for October 10 and 31, in module 3, which are Mondays). The meetings are always live, but they are recorded and made available to course participants for 7 days.
- It is vital that participants commit to reading the allotted chapters weekly, as not doing so will significantly reduce the benefits the club can bring you. Since the modules are 4-week long, you’re expected to read each of the books in about 4 weeks.
- You should be at least at a B2 level of language proficiency to make the most of the club.
- There are 15 places available per club.
*Times are in BRT (Brasília time).
Book club titles:
July 2022: The Thursday Murder Club, by Richard Osman. (SOLD OUT) August 2022: The Shallows: How the Internet Is Changing the Way We Think, Read and Remember, by Nicholas Carr. September 2022: The Power, by Naomi Alderman.
- October 2022: Lily and the Octopus, by Steven Rowley.
- November 2022: Book Lovers, by Emily Henry.
- Each module: R$ 150,00 (payable via one bank transfer or by credit card)
Module 1 (July 2022): July 6, 13, 20, 27. Module 2 (August 2022): August 10, 17, 24, 31. Module 3 (September 2022): September 21, 28; October 5, October 10.
(October 10 is a Monday, exceptionally)
Module 4 (October 2022):
- October 19, 26, 31*, November 9.
(October 31 is a Monday, exceptionally)
Module 5 (November 2022):
- November 16, 23, 30, December 7.
Click here to register.