This course is basically a book club, but with a twist! Every month, a new book will be selected and course participants will have objectives while they read: they need to reach a certain chapter every week; they must do content- and/or language-related tasks as they read. Also, differently from more ‘traditional’ book clubs, we’ll be having 4 weekly meetings for each book, rather than just one at the end.
Reading is perhaps the most complete language-learning exercise there is, and we as teachers can benefit immensely from turning reading into a habit. The main objective of this course is, therefore, to help you do that: turn reading into a habit, but also to give you a chance to use your reading to develop your English and to practice speaking in our meetings.
The books chosen for the first term of 2023 of the club fall into different genres, the authors are from different countries, but they have one thing in common: They’re awesome! 🙂
Basic information (Don’t skim this! Read it carefully!):
- Each module includes the reading of one book (which must be bought separately), and 4 weekly meetings of one hour each.
- The five modules are separate. You can register for as many as you want.
- The live meetings are on Wednesdays, from 21.30 to 22.30. The meetings are always live, but they are recorded and made available to course participants for 7 days.
- It is vital that participants commit to reading the allotted chapters weekly, as not doing so will significantly reduce the benefits the club can bring you. Since the modules are 4-week long, you’re expected to read each of the books in about 4 weeks.
- You should be at least at a B2 level of language proficiency to make the most of the club.
- There are 15 places available per club.
*Times are in BRT (Brasília time).
To register, click here.
Book club titles:
- February 2023: Stay Awake, by Megan Goldin (thriller).
- March 2023: The School for Good Mothers, by Jessamine Chan
- April 2023: Sweat: A History of Exercise, by Bill Hayes
- May 2023: The Candy House, by Jennifer Egan
- June 2023: Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs, by Johann Hari.
- Each module: R$ 165,00 (payable via one bank transfer or by credit card)
- Three modules or more: R$ 150,00 each (payable via up to three instalments, bank transfers or credit card)
- 10% if you participated in a Book Club module before
- 10% if you’re my current or former CELTA candidate
- Stay Awake: February 1, 8, 15; March 1;
- The School of Good Mothers: March 8, 15, 22, 29;
- Sweat: A History of Exercise: April 5, 12, 26; May 3 (no meeting on April 19);
- The Candy House: May 10, 17, 24, 31;
- Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs: June 7, 14, 21, 28.
To register, click here.